power raking & de-thatching
- Why should I have my lawn Power Raked/De-Thatched?
- Power raking your lawn removes unwanted thatch and debris that has accumulated deep down in your lawn. This allows the lawn to exchange oxygen better and allows fertilizer and water to more easily reach the root system. Power raking is usually done in the spring of the year and can be added to our Spring Clean Up Service! An added bonus of power raking is that it "fluffs up" the matted down grass after the long winter months.
- When should I have my lawn Power Raked-Dethatched?
- In our climate and with our grass types, it is best to have this service done in the spring of the year. If you take advantage of our spring clean up services, we will usually do the power raking at the same time.
- What is Thatch?
- Thatch is a layer of grass stems, roots, clippings, and debris that settle on the ground and either slowly decompose and/or accumulate over time. Thatch accumulates on the surface of your soil just below the grass line and is usually out of sight. Thatch buildup is commonly found in lawns where grass has grown tall, where mulch is frequently left, and/or lawns that have never been aerated. A small amount of thatch is ok and actually good for your lawn as this helps to hold in moisture and decomposes adding nutrients to the soil. The problem occurs when there is a lot of thatch that has built up and actually "suffocates" the lawn and prevents the proper amount of air, water, and fertilizer from reaching the soil. CUSTOMERS USUALLY CAN'T BELIEVE THEIR EYES WHEN THEY SEE HOW MUCH THATCH AND DEBRIS WE GET OUT OF THEIR LAWN!
- What is the difference between power raking and de-thatching?
- Power raking and dethatching essentially do the same thing to your lawn but one is more aggressive than the other. Power raking is done with a gas powered machine with slicing blades that cut into the top layer of soil to remove thatch and debris. This is the most aggressive form of removing thatch from a lawn and is only needed on lawns with a severe thatch problem or lawns that are being renovated. Power raking deep cleans the lawn but can leave the turf stressed for a few weeks after having this service done. De-Thatching is done with a tine rake de-thatcher that is mounted to the front of one of our commercial mowers. We use this tine rake de-thatcher to remove thatch, embedded leaves and debris. The tines lift thatch without damaging healthy turfgrass and at the same time comb matted grass giving the lawn a clean, hand-raked appearance. De-thatching is much gentler on the turf than a power raking but still does an excellent job of removing thatch and debris while making the appearance of the lawn look great after a long winter! De-thatching is one of our most popular services we offer!